The Apple Of Discord
The wedding of Peleus and the sea-goddess Thetis2were held and all gods were invited. But herabsence3 of one goddess was clearly noticeable. Itwas Eris, the goddess of discord. As she plantedseeds of discord wherever she went, it was naturalthat her presence at the ceremony was notdesirable. She had good reason to feel angry. Soshe decided to make fun of4 the group at the party. Eris slipped5 into the hall after the coupleleft and rolled on the floor a golden apple , having the words, “For the fairest”. It caused aviolent quarrel among the three goddesses, Hera , Athena and Aphrodite. Zeus found itadvisable to send them before a shepherd boy on Mt Ida, Paris by name , for judgment.Hermes, the messenger, took the apple in his hand and led the goddess away.
Paris was son of Priam, king of Troy. As his mother dreamed at his birth that she was bearing apiece of burning wood, the babe was regarded as representing the destruction of the cityitself. To save the kingdom from possible disaster6 , the parents had the helpless infant lefton top of Mt Ida to die. However, he survived his ill fate. Brought up by the herdsmen, hebecame a strong, handsome lad. He was secretly united with Oenone, a fair and faithfulmountain fairy maiden. On this particular day, as he was taking care of his sheep on themountain side, the youth was surprised to see four human beings standing before him. Hermestold him about his mission and left. The three holy beauties then competed with each other,showing the whereas Aphrodite offered to secure forhim the love of the most beautiful woman in the world. The primitive instinct of the boy thusmoved, Aphrodite won the prize , and the other two goddesses left in anger and became deadlyenemies of Troy.
Ⅰ. Fill in the blanks with proper words in the passage :
1. But the absence________ one goddess was clearly noticeable.
2. It was natural that Eris, the goddess of discord, her presence________ the ceremony wasnot desirable.
3. He decided to make fun________ the group at the party.
4. Eris slipped________ the hall after the new couple left.
5. As his mother dreamed ________ his birth that she was bearing a piece of burning wood,the babe was regarded representing ________ the destruction of the city itself.
Ⅱ. Questions :
1. Who rolled the golden apple on the floor?
2. Who were the three goddesses to compete to win the apple ?
3. Who at last won the title of“ the fairest”and what was the disaster?
Ⅰ. 1. of 2. at 3. of 4. into 5 . at / as
Ⅱ. 1. Eris rolled the golden apple on the floor.
2. Thethree goddesses were Hera, Athena, Aphrodite.
3.Aphrodite at last won the title of“ the fairest”, but itmade the other two goddesses become the deadlyenemies of Troy.
珀 琉斯和海神西蒂斯结婚时邀请了所有的神灵。但是，显然有一位女神不在邀请之列，她就是厄里斯———不和女神。由于她在所到之处撒播不和之种，人们自然不希望她出席婚宴。厄里斯理所当然地感到愤怒。她决定嘲弄宴会上的众神一番。当新娘新郎退场后，厄里斯偷偷溜进了大厅，往地板上抛出了一个金苹果，上书“献给最美的神”。这在赫拉、雅典娜和阿佛洛狄特三位女神之间引起了激烈争执。宙斯认为将她们带到爱达山上一 位名叫帕里斯的牧羊人那里，让他来裁决才是明智的。海尔墨斯作为使者，手持金苹果，领着三位女神离开了。